Since I have a painting up for auction on Daily Paint Works, I have noticed an increase in traffic here. It has been a while since I took some process shots so I figured it might be a good time.
(Above) The finished painting... 6x8 Oil on Panel.
(Above) A shot of the setup, The colors are a bit off.
I always do a still-life from life....because that what it means, "still" and "life" - think about it.....Still-life, right? A painting of fruit from a photo is NOT a still-life. It's just a painting of fruit done from a photo. It could be absolutely amazing, still just a painting, not a still-life painting....and somehow I still loose to them in competitions...but anyway....
I draw in Burnt Umber and White Oil paint with a brush.....I start out very loose and sketch in a color just slightly darker then the surface. The surface is gessoed Masonite, 6 x 8 in, with an acrylic tone on it.
This is my third drawing. I start out very light and get slightly darker as I continue to draw. This is not straight Burnt Umber. If I needed to do a fourth drawing I could have made it slightly darker yet.
I begin to paint working from the object that is furthest away from me to the object that is closest to me. This keeps the depth right. I then begin to paint the deepest darks I see and then slowly make my way up to the lightest lights.
This is the end of the first sitting, about three hours of work total.
I will be adding more pictures as I begin to finish the painting.....
After three hours of work I let the painting dry overnight. I then coat it with medium, and begin to add more details.
After I feel that the objects are finished I then go back in and refine the background. If I am painting objects that will not rot, I paint the background earlier in the process.
Six hours of work...so far. I sometimes go over that, espicially with eggs, and sometimes less if things go really well.
I thought it was done. I was wrong. Every once in a while, after I put a painting up for auction, I decide it wasn't really done. There was something about the grey background that just wasn't working for me. I added this really dark blue background and immediately loved how it made the whold thing POP!
I let it dry and then just deepend the darks of the shadow and added some lighter blues to give it more atmosphere....It's now up for auction and staying there!!!