Tuesday, March 18, 2014

If You Post A Blog Post Because You Saw The Post On Someone Else's Blog, Should They Get Credit?

A few posts down I posted something on Vermeer. I saw the post on James Gurney's Blog, so I mentioned that in the post. I am, and maybe some of you are too, noticing that a post pops up on a blog, and then a few days later a similar post shows up on another blog, and than another etc. It may sound silly but I think the first person to think of it, should get a little credit. I am, and always have been really big on giving credit when due. Creating a blog post is NOT easy, swiping a post idea from someone else still might not be easy, especially if you change it and make it your own, but I still think a nod to the inspiration might not be a bad idea. When newspapers run a story based on another story they read, they are supposed to give credit - why shouldn't bloggers? I think most of it is innocent sharing, however I suspect that there are one or two bloggers out there, reading less popular blogs, looking for ideas to post on more popular blogs, and take credit for the ideas.

I'm still up in the air on this one, so I was wondering what everyone else (ie both of you reading this) thought? If I post a blog here because I read something on another blog, does anyone care if I mention where the idea came from?


3 comments:

  1. I think you you should mention where the the idea came from on your part. It is not always possible to back-track something to the original source nor worth the time to attempt that.
    There is always the possibility that you conjured something up all by yourself but someone may have beaten you to the punch without you knowing it. I've done that a couple of times and then faced the wrath for something I was ignorant about. As they say, "There's nothing new under the sun"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you get an idea from another person, especially on a blog, I think it shows your standards are high when you mention them on your blog. You obviously operate with proper web etiquette in all that is related to your art and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would give credit if you are using parts of it. If you get inspired by something but make it your own, or go in a different direction, I don't think it's as necessary. Like Peg said, there's nothing new under the sun.

    ReplyDelete