Friday, January 14, 2011

New Mini: Tea Cup of Figs




Thought I'd post the pictures of the two sittings on this one. This is a 6 x 8, oil on panel, just like the others. I work on them in two 3-hour sittings. On the first sitting (above) I just try to get the objects round. I don't worry about color, just form and value. I try to get as much information in as I can. The more I get done today, the less I have to do tomorrow!



The first thing I do on the second day is coat the entire panel with a thin layer of oil or medium. (Make sure it is completely dry)

After that I begin depening the darks and strengthening the colors with straight paint, painted thinly into the wet oil. This gives the painting a wonderful depth and shine. I painted in the background right before the pattern of the tea cup, which was the last area to be painted. The pattern on the tea cup was painted with a very thin watercolor brush to get the detail right.

SOLD


1 comment:

  1. Clinton, I absolutely love the gold work on this as well as the water droplets. Amazing as always!

    ReplyDelete