Sunday, March 27, 2011

Asparagus


I painted this one in Boston, in my studio in the North End. I never much cared for Asparagus. One day while looking for still-life objects to paint I struck up a conversation with the grocer I went to. The North End of Boston is like going back 50 years. The grocer had a small shop, three people could barely fin in comfortably. He told me the reason I didn't like Asparagus was that I didn't know how to do it. I didn't understand Asparagus. "Everybody goes for the thick kind which is bitter" he told me. He handed me the skinniest Asparagus I had ever seen and said "Chop up some purple garlic, heat up some olive oil, and throw it all in together when the oil gets really hot....but be careful not to burn the garlic." Not only was it great, I immediately got to work on this painting, which is why there are only a few pieces....I ate the rest! I have loved Asparagus ever since.
10 x 20, Oil on Linen, 2007
SOLD


No comments:

Post a Comment